Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003/2010 cross-forest migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclerico

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2005
US
I am in the beginning stages of planning an inter-forest AD migration as well as Exchange 2003 to 2010 migration for a company we recently purchased. I found the following technet blog post that does a pretty good job of explaining the steps that need to be taken in order to make the migration go smoothly(I guess I would just like to know from anyone on here that has actually carried out the process if there are any gotchas? It looks like I need to make sure I carry out the mailbox migration first and then use ADMT to do the user migration. Besides this, is there anything else you've come across?? Thanks in advance.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

There is generally far more to worry about in terms of the ADMT migration. There are PLENTY of things that get into the way of migrating servers and workstations, including firewalls (hardware and software), services not starting, DNS issues, rights, etc. Many of the things can be rectified with migration specific GPO settings.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn. Come say hi, look for a job, have some fun.
Pat Richard MVP

Thanks Pat. I think I've got the ADMT down since it doesn't look like much has changed from when I last did a 2003 to 2003 inter-forest migration. The Exchange portion, however, is another story.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

There are scripts "*.ps1" to help you in your cause for Preparing-MoveRequests. Also, after EK10SP1 you can do ADMT first and then the MoveRequests if so desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back