Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 to Nas 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordeos

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2003
BE
Question,

A customer of mine has an SBS2003 server with an exchange 2000 running ... I would like to import or copy the exchange database to a 2003 NAS server , is this possible ? do i need special software ? .

I found some guides on the net for an exchange 2003 , but none for 2000.

Thx in advance

Are you talking about just moving the database and transaction logs to a shared drive located on another computer? I don't really see why that would be a problem (assuming the correct permission assignments are in place), but I've honestly never tried it.

To move the database, just open up the Exchange System Manager, right click on the database you want to move, and then click properties. Select the database tab and then enter in the location you want it to be at.

For the transaction logs, you have to move them from the storage group, as there is only one set of transaction logs for the entire store. Right click on the Storage Group, select properties, and then move the logs from there. I would recommend keeping the databases on local hard drives purely for access speed reasons, but I think you can move them to a network drive if you really want to.

You'd need to either mount point the NAS (does not work for local system account) or drive map the NAD (similarly).

How are you going to get the 2 boxes talking? Since it is a glorified network connection, I'd be hesitant about doing this with Exchange.

I'd be even a little more than hesitant Zel.
I have seen several failures with Exchange and NAS, very ugly!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Hesitant" was being polite about "run away and hide and don't do it

Thx for the responses ,

I read some articles about it and its not recommended by microsoft because of the I/O would be to heave on a network ...
And a problem with the Smb ... exchange 2000 has difficulties with not find an SMB .

So i think i go to advise another option ... risc is to high .

Greetz,
Mike

LOL Zel!

Smart move lordeos

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Zel was just fishing for some more nasty replies.... ;-)

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

SBS 2003 with Exchange 2000? How did you pull that off?

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back