Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 spamming/spoofing

Status
Not open for further replies.

quattro5vt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
US
Since we upgraded to Exchange 2000, our users are getting a lot of spam messages. I look in our SMTP queue, and notice that our postmaster account is also sending out bogus emails. It looks like someone is spoofing our user account. Any ideas?

lock down relaying on your exchange server.... if you need to know how to do this let me know

Hello skosterow and quattro5vt,

We also get a lot of spam messages.
Skosterow, if you can share your light that would be great.
Thank you,

Zulma

okay go into your server from the exchange manager....

example mine is DC01 - then look for the folder called 'protocols' then the folder called SMTP. Open the SMTP folder and youll find the default SMTP vurtual server. right click and select properties. click on RELAY. Make sure that the radio button ONLY THE LIST BELOW is checked. if you have people using your exchnage server to bounce messages off then add their IPS ONLY.

hope that helps!

Thank you so much.
It is a busy day in Network land today. I will do this first thing tomorrow morning and I will let you know.
Thank you for replying, I do appreciate it your help.
Have a lovely weekend!

Zulma ;)

Thanks, I have made the changes and will wait to see what happens. If I go into the queue's, should the list be empty, or is it normal to see a few items with remote delivery?

sometimes you'll see stuff in the remote delivery box, sometimes not, just depends on the traffic your server handles. I see stuff even with only 3 users on my HOME exchnage server in the queues. just depends on what other stuff your server is doning. So i would say this is normal. ;-)

happy e-mailing!

- Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back