Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 Relaying Denied Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlree

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2004
US
Can someone please help me, there seems to be no definitive answer.

We have Exhange server 2000; a small client network of 6 machines running WINXPPRO, Outlook 2000. Because we are an Association, we use Outlook Distribution lists to send mail to our Committees. Staff here may address an email to 4 different distribution lists, with a total of email address between 100-200 people.

Aside from the legitimate returns(wrong email; nonexistant person) we have a few companies that we continually get NDRs from with the Relaying Denied error and code 5.7.1
Code:
>You do not have permission to send to this recipient.  For
assistance, contact your system administrator.
>             <nystasrv.NYSTA.Local #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1
<somebody@somedomain.com>... Relaying denied>

I believe the problem lies with the Reciepient SMTP server or Spam Software or Network Security settings.

However President A calls President B(recipient) and says I cant send mail to you. President B, says let me talk to my techs(Network Gurus with degrees); President B comes back to President A and says, my techs say its your problem.

I work for President A and manage our server, exchange server, and website, but I have no degree. HOW can I find out what is going on. IS IT our problem, if so how do I fix it.

The error you posted is being created from the recipients server, not yours. The "problem" is on the recipients server.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back