Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 really slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvhusker

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2006
US
We currently have about 60 end users attaching to an exchange 2000 server. The server has dual 2.8Ghz Xeon processors with 2Gb of memory. I am curious of the recommended system requirements to run Exchange 2000 for that many users.

Some of the issues we are experiencing is that when users come into work and they log into the network, they next try to open their Outlook 2002 and they get an error message that their personal folder cannot be opened. Other users don't seem to have the problem at all.

Is this caused by a heavy load on the server and it cannot keep up with the requests? What is the recommended minimum amount of memory that we should have on that server? Is 2Gb sufficient or would we be better off with 4Gb? Thanks in advance for any response.

Our Exchange Server isn't as powerful as yours and handles about 200 mailboxes. I dont' have the Exchange Server minimum requirements in front of me, but I'm sure you can find them on Microsoft's website.

Personal folders reside outside the Exchange Server, so this error would be a totally different issue. In Outlook, go to Tools-Options-Mail Setup - data Files and see what personal folders are listed ond if they exist on a valid path. (Make sure they are not residing on a network share).

Also, check DNS on the problem workstations. I've seen many problems with Outlook trying to open if it can't resolve the Exchange Server name.

I think we figured out the problem. Or at least we know where the problem is coming from. When a user in our building tries to open their outlook, it is really slow and eventually times out with unable to open personal folders message.

We then go into their Outlook properties and when we click on the account that is setup and then click Change, it shows that the user is trying to connect to the old exchange server name. Why all of a sudden would the clients computers try to connect to the old exchange server name? I have checked DNS, etc and there is no entry in active directory with our old exchange server name. When we manually change their account to point to the current exchange server name, their email opens just fine. FYI, the old Exchange server name was last online about 9 months ago so this was not a recent change as far as the server is concerned.

We had that problem with a roaming profile on terminal services. We had a user that logged on to a server and their current user profile did not load correctly and it used an old profile that did not delete cleanly. That old profile still had settings for the old Exchange Server.

Don't know if anything similar applies to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back