Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 - Messages stuck in queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnieBlueEyes

Technical User
Nov 22, 2004
US
We are using Exchange 2000 on Server 2000, which was set up and has worked properly for about 5 years. We now have a situation where some e-mails (not all) are stuck in the message queue. They are from various users, various sizes, etc.

It started sometime on 2/6/07 and has been sporadic since then. We began receiving NDR notices that the e-mails had been delayed yesterday morning. Not thinking, I called our e-mail domain host but I realized this morning it would be an Exchange problem.

The Application Log event viewer shows several (at least 50 or more) errors stating "The Directory Service Referral Interface failed to service a client request. RFRI is returning the error code: [0x3f0]." Everything I read for what may be causing this to happen revolves around changes or initial configuration. We have done nothing.

I am trying to get the queued messages to send, but I can't figure it out. I have selected force connection and unfreeze, but they just go from active to retry.

I rebooted the server (we only have one server) thinking that might clear the problem, but they are still in the queue.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? We have about 50 e-mails that are sitting waiting to go.

Thanks for anything you might be able to suggest!

Anne

What do you have sitting in the BadMail folder? I'd clear that, reboot then try to force the connection again.

Worst case, you may have to kill those messages that are stuck in queue and see if the problem resurfaces.

Stop the SMTP service, rename the folder, start the SMTP service. That's the fastest way to clear the folder. Then downstream, delete badmail.old.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I just found out what our problem is. We're almost totally out of space on our hard drive. I'm in the process of moving some files to make more room and we're hoping that will release the e-mails.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and quick responses! I can always rely on this tech site!

Have a great weekend!

Anne

You need to still follow Zelandakh's directions as that will clear out a ton of space being used on your drive for no reason.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

not sure if it will help but check your antivirus folder. I sometimes get a recurring "zxytemp" folder as a result of a bad AV update, it eats up the space slowly - deleting them works but I have yet to fix the underlying problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back