Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2000 Mailbox restore Probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfccom

MIS
Jan 17, 2002
CA
Hey Everyone,

I am running Backup Exec Version 8.60 on a Windows 2000 server running as a AD master and also running SBS 2000. I recently deleted a much needed mailbox, and we do have backups. However, when I run BE and restore the mailbox that was needed, it ALWAYS says "failed", and in the job log it says : "Access Denied - Unable to restore mailbox patrick..."

What do I do !?!

Thank you for any help,
Trevor Farren.

have you recreated the mailbox with the same name? BE needs a target to restore to, so if you haven't got a mailbox with exactly the same name, it won't restore to it.

You can check in your restore selections what BE thinks the name of the mailbox is - create the mailbox with this name (any brackets, spaces etc. included) and this should work.

You aren't logged in as the right person - you need container level access. You need to be logged in as someone who has enough access rights to the mail store.

You don't need to create the mailbox, just restore the mailbox from tape and it'll create it for you. You've got a permissions issue.

Hey Zelandakah,

What level should I have, I am logging in under the Administrator Account, and I still can't read the "MBX" folders on the storage drive of Exchange. The Administrator should have the highest access, right? So I tried re-creating the mail account and promoting that Account holder to Administrator status, logging in under his name, and restoring; same thing: "Access Denied".

Trevor Farren

If your running exchange 2000 isnt the default "keep deleted mailboxes for 5 days"? maybe you can re-connect it? 01110000

NOPE! It was deleted almost 2 months ago!!! Good thing we use archived backups!

Trevor Farren.

Hi

I too have the same problem. If you find any solution, please let me know. Please reply to manicks64@hotmail.com
Thanks for any help.

Regards
Mari

Hi Guys,

I have been through it backwards and forward with VERITAS, re-installed BE and Exchange, Created mailboxes, deleted them, add new users, modify them, promote them....nothing work on my machine either! I have a HP Netserver e50 running Exchange 2000 on a single server Windows 2000 AD network! They didn't help me, no patches helped me, I jus't cant get it to work!

Sorry :-(

Have either of tried installing Outlook, or an exchange client so that the restore can connect to the exchange databse?

I have the same issue with Veritas and the access denied errors. So far there is no help on this. I am at the point where everyone will be hgoing to private pst files and we'll connect to a qmail server. Microsoft already has poor product support. Veritas Backup exec is an extremely buggy, unreliable software. It's time to quit my job and become a park ranger. This entire situation is a joke. We're all on the line to make crap that works for people who don't. What's the point, this entire effort is an abject failure.

Exchange 2000 default permissions say that only the user of the mailbox has permissions to the box. You need to go in and give the backup exec service account permissions to the mailbox. Then it should let you restore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back