Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchagne Log Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtizzle

Technical User
Feb 2, 2006
CA
Hello Everyone,

I have exchange 2003 and use Veritas backup to backup software. The log files are not purged after any of the backups. RRIght now I am doing an NT backup in hopes that will purge the log files before things get critical. Is there a process that controls the purging of these files? and if so what is it called? And how would I go about resolving this issue/process to make it work or check to see if it is the problem? Thanks.

This is from KB240145

Manually removing transaction log files that are not required
To correctly remove excess transaction log files, follow these steps:1. Stop all the databases in the storage group.
2. Verify the state of each database file in the particular storage group. For information about how to verify the state of each database file, see the "Database states" section.
3. Perform one of the following actions:• If one or more of the databases are in a Dirty Shutdown or Inconsistent state, determine which transaction log files can be removed without affecting database consistency. For more information, see the "Log files" section.
• If all the databases are in a Clean Shutdown or Consistent state, you may remove all the transaction log files except for the current transaction log file. Removing the current log file when all databases are in a Clean Shutdown state will cause a reset of the log file sequence. This does not prevent databases from starting. However, a reset of the log file sequence affects the ability to roll a database forward from a previous backup if the situation occurs.

4. Copy all the transaction log files that you want to remove to a different location before you permanently remove them from the transaction log hard disk. Do not permanently delete the transaction log files until you have successfully completed a full online backup of all the databases in the storage group.
The following sections describe the relationship between transaction log files and the Exchange Server database. The sections also provide detailed instructions about how to determine which log files are safe to remove.

I hope the NT Backup does the job for you, I presume there's no error events? What BU software are you using?
Iain

Thanks for the reply but I'm more intersted in the automated way. The NT backup is actually purging the files so I know the problem now lies with the backup software WERITAS if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back