Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exch Migration Wizard - You have not selected valid Groupwise doma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2003
AP
Dear all,

I'm currently planning for a Groupwise 6.0 to Exchange 2003 migration. I have an Exchange 2003 SP2 box running as the production box. I have also installed a bridgehead Exchange server that I'll be running the migration on and which has the Groupwise connector on it.

I have configured the Groupwise connector and directory synchronisation from Groupwise is running well (it has created all of the contacts within AD).

However when I run the migration wizard, it gives me the error "You have not selected a valid Novell Groupwise Domain". I'm using exactly the same Groupwise domain path that I used for the Groupwise <--> Exchange connector.
Is that the problem? Am I supposed to use a different format for the path used in the migration wizard?

For example, for the connector configuration I have used the path of \\(GW_SERVER)\VOL1\grpwise\(GW_DOMAIN)\wpgate\API
and that works fine.

For the migration wizard, I've tried many different variations but I believe the path should be \\(GW_SERVER)\VOL1\grpwise\(GW_DOMAIN)

but it does not work.

Could anyone offer some help please? The Groupwise system is not owned/operated by our company - but a 'parent' company.

Thanks and Regards,

SilentRain

Not sure, but this is my best guest.

I get the impression your are trying to migrate from a GroupWise SECONDARY domain. I would not be surprised if the Exchange migration tool wants to do the migration from the PRIMARY domain. If this is the case, you would need to split off the Secondary domain that is migrating to Exchange and make it a primary (many tids on this subect can be found at support.novell.com).

You may be able to verify this guess with an Exchange guy, I only reall know how to get companies off of exchange, not put them on exchange.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

as above probably best with an exchange person but what brent says sounds correct.

i have only ever had a quick 2 minute play with this before as i have never had a call to use it either but i think it does expect a primary

Hi Terry and Provogeek,

Thank you for your help - it was a permissions problem! I had asked the administrators of the Groupwise box to grant the migration account the correct permissions but they had not granted this account any permissions on the subdirectories in the domain folder.

So basically the Exchange migration wizard could not see any of the ATT_IN/ATT_OUT etc folders and couldn't verify that it was the correct domain folder.

I had confirmed this with the GW administrator many times over, and he always maintained that they were correct. Anyway the migration has been completed, it all went quite smoothly after this initial problem.

Thanks for the responses.

SR

When you finally figure out that Exchange is an overbloated pig of an application that you can't stand spending all night and day supporting, let us know and we'll help you migrate back to GW7.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Wow - what an intelligent post Marvin. Well done!

/sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back