Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exch 5.5 in NT 4 domain to Exch 2k3 in Win2k3 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriendlyFire

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2003
US
Hi all:

I am in the process of migrating an existing NT4/Exch 5.5 domain into a new Exch 2k3/Win 2k3 domain. I have brand new, dedicated equipment and have built a new domain into which I'd like to bring most of the NT4 info. I do not want to upgrade in place because there are many misconfigurations and old accounts, etc. on the existing domain and thus I'd like to start from scratch with just the "good" info. I have not moved any of the domain user accounts to the new one yet.

I have Win2k3 set up on three servers currently, with one box allotted to being a dedicated Win2k3 server. My question is this: What is the best way to migrate *select* accounts from the 5.5 server to Exch 2k3? Should I do the user accounts to AD first, then run the AD Connector for the Exch 5.5 mailboxes? Should I simply bring up a new Exch 2k3 server and then "migrate" the mailboxes over?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

THANKS

Real good webcast presenation on how this migration can happen)

(If you are migrating to a different exchange organization this explains how to migrate from 55 to Exchange 2003)

(This explains how to use Exmerge2000 to exmerge the mailboxes and migrate from 55 to 2003)
Prerequisite to upgrading article
A bunch of articles here you can reference possibly
White paper for Forest Prep and Domain Prep

* hope this helps. Would be interested in how you make out. At our environment we are going to Windows2000/Exchange2000 but plan on going to Windows2003/Exchange2003 next year so please let me know how everything goes with the upgrade.

Good luck.

Zoey

I would migrate the mailboxes over after. I believe that when you create or move a mailbox into AD 2k3 it asks you to add member to groups at that time as well. One cool thing about 5.5 to 2k3 is the passwords travel with the accounts. It may or maynot be a factor pending the size of your mailbox user db. Hope this helps . Good luck.

I'm in the same boat FF. I've just got the trial version of 2k3 and Exch 2k3 going and test accounts set up from my test domain. Everything's working peaching, inculding OWA.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to Migrate from NT 4 / Exchange 5.5 as well. Don't want to do an in place for the same reasons as you. But I don't look forward to figuring out how to manage all the permissions on existing files on the network....

Very interested in hearing the path you take. Maybe we can Exchange some Ideas?

Cheers,
Scully.

1. Migrate the accounts with SID history using ADMT v2.

2. ACL the 5.5 mailboxes with the new 2K3 account using ADMT v2.

3. Set up the ADC with a 2-Way CA.

4. Move mailbox till your heart's content.

This process avoids the diabled contacts/ADClean mess.

John
MOSMWNMTK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back