Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exch 2k - Public Folder tree can not be expanded

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampaul

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2002
US
I currently have a W2k server, which is the PDC, the file and print server, Oracle server, Backup Exec server, the ISA server, and last but not least, the Exchange server.

Last year a few public folders were created, then approx 1 year later the permissions needed changed, and some new folders added. However, when trying to access the current public folders, or trying to create a new public folder via the system manager, I get the error message: "The operation failed. ID no: 80004005"

The existing public folders are accessible to the users who originally had permission to the folder(s) via Outlook, however, permissions still can not be viewed or editted via Outlook.

The only thing that was installed since the creation of the public folders was the W2k Security Rollout patch.

When researching this error, I ran across MS article Q289492 and have went through the troubleshooting check list in an attempt to resolve the issue. I've tried all applicable resolutions except replacing the w3svc.dll file, as recommended in the article, and have been unsuccessful.

My questions are:
1. How should I go about replacing the .dll file. There is another w3svc.dll file available in the original i386 dir. that can be used, but...
a. Do the Exch 2k services need stopped, or just the service?

2. If the file is replaced manually, would I have to register the different .dll file, even though it is the same name?
a. If so, how do I unregister the old .dll, and register the new .dll

3. What will happen to the server if the replacement .dll takes is not work?
a. Will it only effect the or will it kill Exchange as well?

Any help or thoughts regarding this problem would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back