Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exch 2003 and AD2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexellis

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2003
GB
Hi Chaps

What if any are the limitations of runnign Exchange 2003 in a Windows 2000 AD enviroment, at present we are planning an upgrade (of sorts) from an Exchange 5.5 server, sitting on an NT domain, to Exchange2003 in a Windows 2000 AD domain. The domains have been sitting together with a full trust for a little while now, we wondered wether it would be better to upgrade to Windows2003AD before doing the Exchange upgrade.

Big question I know but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks very much for the link, it will come in very useful

Thanks

Alex

Markdmac,

The link you posted seems to refer to E2k3 running on a Win2k or Win2k3 server, and does not mention anything about the AD schema. Can you clarify your comment?

Maybe I am misunderstanding your request then. I understood your question to be that you wanted to know what the differences were between running Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2000 domain versus running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 domain.

From the standpoint of the schema there is absolutely no difference. Exchange UPDATES the schema, so both a Windows 2000 domain and Windows 2003 domain will be upgraded the same to include the Exchange 2003 Schema extensions. The only differences are the limitations the OS may impose. As I mentioned above, Outlook Over HTTP won't work because that requires all GCs to be an RPC Proxy which is only available on Windows 2003.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back