Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excessive Errors in Win98 -when diagnostic by Nuts & Bolts or Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveDude17

Technical User
Feb 22, 2000
CA
Hi All,<br>

I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows 98. When I run either Nuts and Bolts or Norton 2000 utilities both indicate that there is approximate 27 errors. Nuts and Bolts will not fix any of them in the Auto Fix mode. Norton seems to just remove them from the Regestary. A couple of sample errors are as follows:<br>

MISSING DLL's There are a total of 14 missing .dll's<br>

Windows.000\system\AWFXEX3D2.EXE is missing a dill. (AWLFT332.dll)<br>

Program files\Accessories\BACKUP\MSBACKUP.EXE is missing a dll (SH31W32.dll<br>

<br>

Shared DLL missing<br>

C:\WINDOWS.000\CTRES.DLL <br>

etc, etc <br>

I have installed Windows 98 2 times and the some sort of errors are found by Norton. When installing Windows after a fresh format, The Win Cd Rom, somes times says it can't find certain CAD files. After a number of trys the complete Cd Rom loaded windows 98 without this error message. I did format after each failed install.<br>

My question is as follows:<br>

Are the errors real or is Norton and Nuts and Bolts both wrong or do I have a bad CD or CD Rom Drive.<br>

<br>

Thank you for any input to help.<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

My first suggestion would be to format the drive again.<br>
Copy the Win98 CD to the HD and run setup from there. If similar problems occur, I may suspect memory as a root cause. Try removing a stick or moving them around if you can.<br>
<br>
Also, the fact that Windows is installing in the Windows.000 directory indicates that the drive is not clean and that Windows found another Windows folder with corrupted or missing files. Make sure the drive is formatted and clean. Copy the Win98 CD to a Folder on your harddrive and run setup. The install should default to the Windows folder.<br>

the missing dll's could also be from programs unistalled improperly<br>
since its still seeing ur old windows directory<br>
try renaming the old directory first <br>
besides alot of times missing dll's are not catstropic<br>
in my experience if ur not getting error messages when running a program your probably ok

Might not mean much now, but try Norton SystemWorks 2000 in the future. I used to use Nuts and Bolts 98, switched to NortonSystemWorks 2000, worked out better for me. Also with the uninstall wizard in nuts and bolts, i'd take those red highlighted files seriously, but sometimes it wont always warn you that the file yer about to delete/uninstall is important to the system <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(hehe, yea it was 4.5 too, least i didnt start with COBOL)

Hi!<br><br>When you do a format on a hard drive, use the /u switch with the format command.&nbsp;&nbsp;For example,<br><br>format c: /u<br><br>When you use the format command only, MSDOS saves the data on the disk in case you want to Unformat it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Most people don't know that.&nbsp;&nbsp;With the /u switch, all data will be completely erased from your disk.&nbsp;&nbsp;For many tips and tricks and troubleshooting procedures, visit,<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> Luck!<br><br>Gil<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back