Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exception 0e in W98SE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil1969

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2004
GB
I have upgraded to WIndows Media Player 9 from 6 after moving onto broadband via a USB external modem as I want to download movies/music now I've got a descent connection speed. Now I get the following error message when I try to run a CD in the d:'An exception 0e 0028:c.....in VxD scsihlp(03)...press any key or cntrol/alt del etc.'
I have to reboot pc at mains to get back to desktop. I have been getting this message all week after updating to WMP9 and IE6.0. Yesterday I restored PC back to factory settings and started again, but left IE5.5 and just updated WMP9. Everything worked ok yesterday, but today I have turned on and there was a system update. As soon as the disk in the d drive begins, I get the blue srceen error message.
Can anyone advise how I can use CD drive and also keep WMP9. Your help would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Neil

I heard people with similar error got their CD drive knocked out
do you have anti virus software on it, what kind ?

I do have pre-loaded anti-virus software from McAfee (V4.02). When I searched for the VxD file a few days ago, it belonged to McAfee, so I removed the s/ware package via Add/Remove but the error remained. I have since added ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall, but kept McAfee now I have restored the factory settings. Any thoughts Careermind? I'll look now at your link 1stIT- Cheers guys.

Sorted!!!- Thanks Lads.
Went to the link suggested by 1stman and checked out a similar prob.
The fix is to rename the scsi1hlp.VxD file to scsihlp.dux and the CD drive works again- happy days!!.
If you would like to post this fix to other W98se users 1stman, (I think it should be posted), but you should take the credit! I can just confirm it works.
Thanks again.
Neil
England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back