Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excell - COUNTIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazblaz

Technical User
Feb 3, 2002
CA
I have a different values for some measured dimensions entered in column A. (assume Total 5200 records)
I want to make some counting , based on range of the mesurements: Like
A) L<1 = 1,200 records
B) 1<L<5 = 2,500 records
C) 5<L<10 = 1,300 records
D) L>10 = 200 records
TOTAL 5,200 records
I want to know how many records have each group.(IN above sample I already determined that)

On the end of the sheet I use a fields, where I am making a summary report, entering how many records I have in each group , using COUNTIF Function

So I am using:
1)COUNTIF( A1:A5200),”<1”)
2)COUNTIF(A1:A5200),”>1)
Etc….

In my next report I have different number of records (like 10,230), so I have to change the range of the field instead (A1:A5200) will be (A1:A10230) . I would like not to change the formulas every time the number of records are changed. I’d like to use a new cell, where I can enter how many records I have in my report, and that value would be automatically read through some macro in my COUNTIF() function.
Is it possible to do that in Excell?

Hi,

Is there a problem with simply specifying the whole column? For example:
=COUNTIF(A:A),"<1")

If for some reason you need to limit the range, you could use:
=COUNTIF(A1:OFFSET(A1,C1,0),">1")
with the last row number in C1 to specify the range limit.

Cheers

The following will do what you want assuming that you have no blanks in your data range in Col A and that there is no other data in Col A below your data range. the OFFSET piece makes the ranmge dynamic so you can add mnore data to your range and not have to change the formulas.

=COUNTIF(OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNTA(A:A)),"<1")

=COUNTIF(OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNTA(A:A)),"<5")-COUNTIF(OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNTA(A:A)),"<1")

=COUNTIF(OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNTA(A:A)),"<10")-COUNTIF(OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNTA(A:A)),"<5")

=COUNTIF(OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNTA(A:A)),">10")

Regards
Ken.................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back