Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excell auto-open 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomPose

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
When I double click on an Excell sheet's icon, it is opened up in another currently open Excell application. I want to be able to double click on an icon and have it spawn a new occurence of the Excell application... I want each Excell sheet to auto-open its own individual Excell window and not share one Excell instance between many sheets.

How do I do that?

Thanks, Tom

I am not sure what you are asking for here. Do you mean that if you double click on a workbook/spreadsheet in explorer it will create a new occurance of the excel program.

For example, I have 2 spreadsheets a.xls and b.xls. Double clicking on a.xls creates 1 instance of Excel then b.xls should createa new instance?

Tompose, I think I know what you mean. Using my PC at work(with Windows 2000 & Office 97) if I open 2 excel spreadsheets , Excel only appears once in the taskbar. At home, (with Windows XP and Office XP) I get Excel appearing twice in the taskbar when I have 2 spreadsheets open. I prefer the latter and have often wondered if it was possible to set up my office PC to do the same.
Unfortunately I cannot answer your question Tompose, but would be very interested to hear if any one can explain a solution.

I have v2000 and if I open two books by double clicking on the file name, I get one instance of excel and two entries on the task bar. Now if I want to have two instances of excel running at the same time, I have to do the following:

Either open excel and open a file, or dbl click on a file name for instance one.

Next, I must open another instance of excel and do a file open to have two distinct instances of excel open.

Blue [dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Hi
To get separate windows in the taskbar go
TOOLS>OPTIONS
select the VIEW tab
ensure the "Windows in taskbar" option is selected
(xl2k, win95 (yes, 95!!))

Dunno about starting a fresh instance of Excel whenever a file is opened and can't honestly think of a reason for wanting to do it!

Happy Friday
;-)

If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]
The faqs ma'am, just the faqs. Get the best from these forums : faq222-2244

TomPose,
Tools-> Options->View->
Check Windows Taskbar...

If you check this box, then when you open multiple Excel files, they all show separately on your Windows Taskbar instead of grouped under one Excel.
tav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back