Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel2003: Import External Data and formatting/sorting

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyrocks

Technical User
Nov 16, 2006
US
Background: I've got a single spreadsheet I'm using to track changes to certain fields in 7 separate Access databases. So, I have 7 DB queries using the Get External Data... tool dumping into a single sheet. The tables and fields have the same names and data types in each database.

I've got no problem importing and refreshing data to keep up with the changes, but I need to sort on a single field across all 7 queries. Using the SORT function as part of the query works fine for each individual query but, obviously, doesn't take into account the data returned for other queries. When I remove SORT from the query and sort on the column in Excel, my data is sorted until I refresh the data. At that point, my formatting stays the same, but my data rearranges itself to the original query order.

So, my question is: How do I maintain sorting results across all 7 queries and continue refreshing the data? Is there a better approach? I do need 7 separate DBs for now...

Thanks!

dylan

Hi,

Consider modifying your workbook as follows:

Put each of the 7 queries in a separate sheet.

Insert a new sheet for a Union All query that will join the 7 queries into one resultset.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back