Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel2003: change query DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyrocks

Technical User
Nov 16, 2006
US
I've built a spreadsheet we're using as a template to track certain things in a Access database. Using the Import External Data, I set up a simple query using a test database. Everything returns fine, all my calculations do what I want. But now I want to duplicate the template, keeping my calculations and whatnot, but change the DB query source. I need the same query, just need it to query a different database. The tables and fields will all be the same, only the name/location of the DB will change. Crystal Reports has a function that allows you to switch DB without changing anything else; is there something similar I can do in Excel? Thanks,

dylan

Hi,

Turn on your macro recorder.

Edit the query and File > Return data to Excel

Turn off the recorder.

alt+F11 toggles between the VB editor and the sheet.

post the recorded code for assistance in changing the source. Include the path & DB for the new source.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Brilliant! I think I can take it from there. Thanks a ton, I would never have thought of that!

dylan

Some tips on the code.

I always pretty up my query code like this. Your connection string will be different as MS Access...
Code:
Sub GetChartData()
    Dim sPath As String, sDB As String, sConn As String, sSQL As String

sPath = "C:\"

sDB = "DBname"

sConn = "ODBC;DSN=Excel Files;"
    sConn = sConn & "DBQ=" & sPath & "\" & sDB & ".xls;"
    sConn = sConn & "DefaultDir=" & sPath & ";"
    sConn = sConn & "DriverId=790;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;)"

sSQL = sSQL & "SELECT"
    sSQL = sSQL & "  Dte"
    sSQL = sSQL & ", Qty"
    sSQL = sSQL & ", Typ"
    sSQL = sSQL & vbCrLf
    sSQL = sSQL & "FROM `Join$`"
    sSQL = sSQL & vbCrLf
    sSQL = sSQL & "WHERE (PARTNO_201='" & [SelectedPN] & "')"
'
    With [b]wsChartData.QueryTables(1)[/b]
        .Connection = sConn
        .CommandText = sSQL
        .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
    End With
End Sub
replace SELECTION with your sheet name. change QueryTable to QueryTables(1) assuming that you have only one query table on the sheet.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back