Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkdestroyer1980

Programmer
Jan 9, 2008
GB
Hi,

I had two excel files open and Excel crashed. File a was around 3mb, b was 512k. Now file A seems to have been over written with most of the data from b, it's around 530k.

When I go to open the file I get "File not found", followed by "Excel found unreadable content in A.xls" It then asks if I want to recover document?

If I choose no, Excel crashes. If yes, then excel simply displays old data.

Any ideas on how to get this data back is much appreciated as the file contains around a week's worth of work.

Thank you,

You should label your Subject with a little more detail so people can assist better.

That said, I think you should search your hard drive for any *.tmp file that was last modified or created around the time of the crash. It may be in an obscure location but worth a look.

I'm assuming there aren't any backups of the file.

Agree with tesaka57 about the subject line. On the window to post a new thread, it actually says,
Posting Screen said:
Please be descriptive. The subject "HELP!!!!" is not descriptive [ignore]:)[/ignore]

I'd suggest trying to open with Open Office (available for free download at I've had luck with it being able to open Excel files that Excel itself cannot open.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back