Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel wont go to landscape to print

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoZakz

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
US
Anyone know what would cause the Excel program to lock in portrait view. I cant figure out why it is locked in Portrait view and wont change to landscape. Several of my office mates are also having this problem anyone have any idea what would cause this? It doesnt matter what excel worksheet I open they all wont go to landscape.

Thanks

Hi,

Just an idea...
Have you had a printer change recently? If so check the properties of that.

Regards,

Darrylle "Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

I am also having the same problem in Excel. I am using office 97. I thought it may have something to do with that version of office in a windows XP environment, but it was working fine up until a week ago??? The printer has not changed at all.

This has to do with the print driver but simply uninstalling it and reinstalling it won't resolve the issue. You will have to uninstall it and then do a little work in the registry and then reinstall the print driver to correct this.

What OS are you using? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I was hoping to address the issue for the OS for the original post but in lieu of that here is the information although I don't have specifics for Windows XP but imagine it is pretty much the same. I will use NT 4.0 as my example OS.

(Note: I originally posted that you need to do some work in the registry and that may not necessarily be the case for all situations. This will be come clearer as you read on.)

Network print drivers for Windows NT 4.0 are located in C:\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\W32x86\2. If you uninstall the print drivers all the files do not necessarily get deleted. The driver file that is causing the problem is located within this folder (or similar folder depening on OS being used).

If the client has only one printer installed and absolutely nothing else it makes it much easier. You can simply delete the printer and then rename the 2 folder. Readd the network printer. The 2 folder is automatically recreated and the drivers reinstalled. (See chart below for what the 2 means and for the corresponding number for other OS systems)

If the client has several network printers or services (PDF Writer) installed then it gets a bit trickier (unless the client has no objection to deleting everything and then adding it all back in).

If you go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-x\<printer driver> look at the values on the right side and make note of the file names listed. You can then delete these files out and then try readding the network printer. This is not a complete list of all the files installed by the driver but it may still resolve the issue. If not then you may need to resort to the first solution.

w32x86\0 : Intel Windows NT 3.1 printer drivers
w32x86\1 : Intel Windows NT 3.5x printer drivers
w32x86\2 : Intel Windows NT 4.0 printer drivers
w32x86\3 : Intel Windows 2000 printer drivers

Hope this helps. joegz
&quot;Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is.&quot;

Hi.

I have a 2000 Pro machine with the same problem - cannot print in landscape (it's a network printer). I have tried everything....

I followed MSKB Q135405 (manually removing the printer driver)
and reinstall the printer driver... nothing work...

What else can I try???

The printer is HP Laserjet 4000N. I noticed that when I install the 5e driver, it can installed locally... but when I tried 6, files were installe on my server, why??? how can i force it to install locally???

Ok, very odd. I tried to installed 5e again this morning.... It worked!!!

[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back