Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel will not start anymore 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefaan100

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
US
I use Windows 2000 and Office 2000. Since a few days, my excel doesn't start up anymore. Whenever I try to open a file, it tells me that excel has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
I uninstalled office 2000 and reinstalled it again. Still to no avail, excel will not start. Everytime I get this error message.
Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do to fix this issue? I could format my harddrive, but would like to avoid it. If need be though I will.
Also, would an upgrade to Office 2003 fix this issue?

Thank you for any response. I use excel a lot so I will be very grateful for any feedback.Tx

It sounds like a file that automatically loads when Excel is started has been corrupted. Your PERSONAL.xls file is a good candidate, but any Addin that you have could be causing this.

The default location for these files is:
C:\Documents and Settings\[Your User ID]\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Move one file at a time to another location until you can start Excel. When you have isolated the problem, any other files can be returned.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

John, I looked in my XLstart file and the folder is empty. Any idea what that might be?

John, there was an excel sheet right beside the XLStart file. Just moved it in there and things are up and running again. Thank you very much for your reply. Stefaan

Just in case you still have any issues after this:-

The normal reason for this happening in XL2000 is a corrupted Toolbar customisation file. This has a *.xlb extension and will be the only one on your system. This does not get replaced if you reinstall. Simply deleting the file is usually sufficient to get Excel going again, though obviously you lose any toolbar customisations you may have made.

Regards
Ken............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back