Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel *Wildcard* Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordury2

Technical User
Jan 22, 2005
US
Tried to bump this old thread thread68-679182 but it is now closed...only 5 years old :)

Is it possible to use the wildcard in an IF formula?

For instance, I have a spreadsheet with text and numbers in the cells, the number of characters varies in the cells so a left, right or mid is out.

I want the formula to look to the cell and if any part of the text contains "ABC" then I want to return 1.

=IF(C18="*ABC*",1,"") Cell C18 containts the letters ABC in order but my formula is still returning blanks?

Any ideas?

Hi Cordury2,

The essential problem you're having with the wildcards is the use of the two asterisks - you can only use one per expression.

You could try:
=NOT(ISERROR(FIND("ABC",C18)))*1
or:
=NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("ABC",C18)))*1
Either formula will return 1 if 'ABC' exists in the string, and 0 otherwise. The first formula is case-sensitive.

If necessary, you can suppress the 0 via a custom cell format ('0;;') or via an IF test along the lines of:
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("ABC",C18)),"",1)
or:
=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("ABC",C18)),"",1)
as appropriate.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Or, from my original link (which contains great wildcard information for a range of functions):
=IF(COUNTIF(A2:A2,"*abc*"),"yes","no")
This only uses 2 functions - IF and CountIf. No idea if that means it would calculate any faster...

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back