Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL VBA How to activate last cell in a range? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameronfraser

Programmer
May 18, 2001
US
In EXCEL VBA I have a named range and I want to activate the last cell in the range.

Example:
the EXCEL named range "Dog" is "B6:B25" I want to activate the last cell in the range, "B25". I know Range("B25") will select the cell, but when rows are inserted above "Dog" then Range("B25") will not select the last cell of the range.
I tried the command:

Range("Dog").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Activate

Thid Does not work because this selects the last cell in the used range, not the specified range.

Is there a simple way to find the last cell in the range?

This may appear convoluted, but will work :

Range("Dog").Cells((Range("Dog").Cells.Count)).Activate

or abbreviate to :

[Dog].Cells(([Dog].Cells.Count)).Activate

A.C.

You can abbreviate further with :

[Dog].Cells(([Dog].Count)).Activate

A.C.

Hi, cameronfraser,
Here's some info you can get from your range...
Code:
    With [Dog]
        lFirstRow = .Row
        lRowCount = .Rows.Count
        iFirstCol = .Column
        iColCount = .Columns.Count
    End With
    lLastRow = lFirstRow + lRowCount - 1
    iLastCol = iFirstCol + iColCount - 1
Hope this helps :) Skip,
metzgsk@voughtaircraft.com

OR
[dog].End(xlDown).Activate
Is this shorter than acron's reply?
:-D

Loomah,

It might be shorter but will only work if there are no blank cells in the range.

A.C

Ah Acron
Not only will it only work if there are no blank cells but it will only work if the range is a single column!

Fools rush in...
I'll get me coat
[blush]

Thanks for the solutions.

I have a question. What do the [ ] around Dog mean?

or abbreviate to :

[Dog].Cells(([Dog].Cells.Count)).Activate

The [] brackets are shorthand for an EVALUATE function, and in this instance they evaluate the expression Dog to Range("Dog").

It's also useful when working with Worksheet functions in VBA, e.g (a trivial example)?

Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(Range("A1:A10"))

becomes

[Sum(A1:A10)]

A.C

Acron
I've learned something here re [] I've always known they were an option but never what they actually meant!

I also have a question tho' Are the double brakets required? ie Cells(([Dog].Cells.Count))

It makes no difference to whether the code works or not but I wondered if this was something else I wasn't aware of. VBA is just something I'm doing to kill time at the moment!

Loomah,

Sorry, no the double brackets are not required - I cannot imagine how I managed to include them.

A.C

I thought the (( )) brackets was intended to make that portion of the line stand out.

Range("Dog").Cells(Range("Dog").Cells.Count).Activate

The first line was just a little easier to understand.

Also,
EVALUATE function. I like it. I looked in my two EXCEL VBA books and it wasn't mentioned. The VBA online help did have it though.

Acron, thanks for the help. One Gold Star for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back