Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel VB updating function 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

droberts200401

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2004
GB
Hello All,

New to VB and require some help please.

I'm in process of creating a tracking sheet for a project. I have a Top Sheet which gives you a snap shot of the entire project and if milestones are -

On Target (green)
Looking unstable (amber)
Will miss target (red)

The Top Sheet is fed by four other wookbooks (feeders) e.g Finance, Technical, Systems & Processes and HR.

What I would like to do and so far failed to achieve is for the Feeder sheets to transfer their information into the Top Sheet. For example, Finance overall is Green in the Feeder Sheet and so needs to be shown automatically as Green in the Top Sheet.

Hope I have made this clear! Not sure whether to do a Drop Down box or not as I cannot find out how to dipslay colours in a Drop Down box.

Regards

Dave

Further to the above. Try making the colour change in the underlying sheets a function of the value in the cell eg 1= Red 2 = Amber 3 = Green. Then set up the colours using conditional formatting. Then copy and paste/link the cells into the master sheet and conditionally format the cells in the same way. Then any change to the number in the underlying sheets will change the colours in both sheets.
I once did a Balanced Scorecard that did a similar thing. The limitation of Conditional formatting is the limit to 3 conditions (3 colours). Any more and you will need a macro to do the colour coding.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back