Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Validation Drop Down Box Clears / Disappears when Saving . Could this be VB coding causing it 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylaBrion

Technical User
Dec 18, 2018
GB
Hi

Can anyone help. I have an issue with my excel sheet that loses the drop down data validation boxes when saving. I'm not sure what is causing it but wondered if it could be VB code or I could write some VB to stop it happening?

Many Thanks

What excel version? Do you have any code in the workbook? Does the cell still has data validation set when you open the file?
Older versions had problem with data validation dropdown button display for workbooks with linked range images (as camera tool). At least in 2016 this issue was fixed in one of updates. The workaround was:
1) add forms combobox anywhere in the worksheet,
2) right-click it and add whole worksheet as data source,
and data validation arrows appear and work.

If it is not your case and you have DV saved, please upload workbook with disappearing DV after removing sensitive data.

combo

Hi thanks for the response

I have excel version 2013. I do have code in the work book but nothing that activates when opening / closing the workbook
I'll try the combobox solution and let you know

thanks again

Hello

A quick update to say thanks and it seems that my code was saving the workbook as a standard excel file.

I have now adjusted my code to save as a Macro Enabled Workbook

This seems to have worked

Many Thanks for your help

To show appreciation for the help, click on [blue]Great Post![/blue] link in the helpful post(s). That marks the post(s) with a star, and let others know it was beneficial

Welcome to Tek-Tips :)

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Andrzejek

Thanks for your advice, great post clicked

DylaBrion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back