Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel usage questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

unit512

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
US
I've looked in Excel help, but could not find the<br>answers to the following:<br><br>1. If I enter a date on sheet1 A10 how do I get<br>that date to automatically appear on sheet2 B12?<br><br>2. I have columns with totals...<br><br>A12 = sum(a3;a11)<br>A24 = sum(a13;a23)<br>etc.<br><br>I have 60 totals.<br>Now I need a GRAND Total.<br>Is there a way to do this other than including<br>each total (A12,A24,A36 to A5##) in a series<br>of sum commands?<br>Glenn<br>

Glenn,<br><br>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just set the formula for &quot;sheet2 B12&quot; equal to &quot;sheet1 A10&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;To do this, click in &quot;sheet2 B12&quot; and type the equal sign.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then click in &quot;sheet1 A10&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;Your formula for &quot;sheet2 B12&quot; will look like<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=[Sheet1]!A10<br><br>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;If I understand your question, couldn't you just sum all the entries and divide by two?&nbsp;&nbsp;It's sneaky, but it should do what you want.&nbsp;&nbsp;If that won't work for you, let me know and I will do some stuff with Iif...then formulas.

Thanks for answer #1.<br><br>Regarding #2... It looks more like this...a correction<br>on my part...<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;B<br>1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5.00<br>2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6.00<br>3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7.00<br>4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;18.00&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Sub Total<br>5<br>6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4.00<br>7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4.00<br>8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;23.00<br>9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;31.00&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Sub total<br>10<br>11&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6.00<br>12&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8.00<br>13&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3.00<br>14&nbsp;&nbsp;17.00&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Sub total<br>etc<br>to a total of about 70 subtotals.<br><br>I cannot enter the whole string into a sum command.<br>I want a4+a9+a14 out to 67 more sub totals<br><br>I can create several sums and then sum them together.<br>This is okay...but I then need all but the grand total<br>to be invisible.<br><br>Glenn

If you don't put completely blank rows or columns in your data, you can use the Data-Subtotals feature. If you're putting blank rows/columns to visually separate your data, it won't work. <p> <br><a href=mailto:techsupportgirl@home.com>techsupportgirl@home.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>

The best way I know to sum a large # of cells is the following:<br><br>1. Click in the &quot;Grand Total&quot; cell<br>2. Click on the equals sign and select <b>SUM</b><br>3. Click the Cell Select button at the side of the &quot;Number 1&quot; field<br>4. Click in the first Subtotal cell<br>5. Click the Cell Select button again<br>6. Repeat for each Subtotal Cell by selecting &quot;<b>Number2,3,..[b/]&quot;<br>7. Once done click <b>OK[b/]<br><br>If the cells are on the same page, your formula will look something like <b>=SUM(AD4,AD14,AD24,AD34,AD44,AD54,AD64,AD75,AD85,AD95,AD105,AD114).[b/]<br><br>If they are on other pages, each selection will also include the page reference.<br><br>Good Luck<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back