Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel to Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveLL

Technical User
Sep 27, 2000
CA
Hi,
I'm working on a project: migrate an Excel file to an Access relationnal data base.

How do you suggest me to begin this operation.
Any good hints or links?

Well, you can...

1. Link to an Excel file and create a make table query.
2. Import from the Access 'File' menu.
3. Programmatically siphon data from the spreadsheet.
4. Import Excel data from the Clipboard
5. Other?

Which situation is your preference?

Gary
gwinn7

HI

I'd like to build a database(relationnal) so I can make forms ,reports...
The spreadsheet is for a computer inventory.
I want to make forms to allow technicians to enter informations anywhere in the building.
A kind of realtime inventory.
I think that I'll have to build tables...?
thanks for hints!!

You THINK you'll have to build tables?

DrStein, meet learning curve. :)

Later,
ErikZ

DrStein,

Make sure that you explicitly set the data types of all columns in Excel and I suggest naming the ranges that you want to import. To make a relational db you'll need to insert lookup fields to replace the existing flat file structure. Use the import command when in the "tables" section and follow the wizard prompts. Think about your datatypes and make sure that existing data is consistent with column datatype or you'll have irritating import problems. Also, your comments indicate that you need to spend some time in the woodshed bro (or you'll be wishing you still had spreadsheets).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back