Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel title bar - how to show path and filename? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twelvefootboy

Technical User
Sep 4, 2002
US

i frequently do tweaking on several spreadsheets with similar names on different network computers, and even in directories on my own box.

it seems like there used to be a menu option to have the entire path and filename displayed on the title bar. or do i have to send bill gates' a bunch more money for the privilege?

i hope this is a baby question, with a corresponding remedy. but i have tried all the menu options.

thanks,
kelly, aka twelvefootboy

Courtesy of Ture Magnusson:

Sub SetLongName()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
End Sub

Sub BackToShortName()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.Name
End Sub

Rgds, Geoff
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Want the best answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

xlbo, aka geoff

i just hacked around and did it. this is my first deliberate vbs. i'm sure i haven't aced it, but i'll keep messing around until i know what i just did.

i am hopeful i can set this module into a default template or something, but i can plug it in to all the other files as needed.

i don't know why bill gates didn't provide a toggle in the gui for us lowbrow users.

thanks!
kelly, aka twelvefootboy

Try setting up a PERSONAL.xls and keep it in there - it is opened when you open excel and sits as an invisible window - personal.xls macros are available to be run from any other open workbook

Rgds, Geoff
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Want the best answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back