Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel spreadsheet is not accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

unit512

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
US
We have a spreadsheet on our NT server<br>that is marked in use.<br><br>We can see it.&nbsp;&nbsp;We cannot open it,<br>copy it or rename it.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is not<br>from a template.<br><br>We have brought the file server down,<br>in case someone had this file open.<br><br>In Properties the file is marked archived,<br>but not read only.<br><br>Does anyone have a way we can get into the<br>file?

this is a suggestion, that you Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys and check the screan that pops-up to see if it has any spreed-sheet active, if so click on it and then press the &quot;end task&quot; button. <p>Sherwin B. Seed<br><a href=mailto:s_seed@hotmail.com>s_seed@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= Kingdom</a><br>I am starting my own business called SMAN Sales & Service. you can check out our products at this is a temporary business site untill we get our full scale website up. if there is not much on this website it is becouse we ar

If you actually brought the server conataing the file down, that should have broken any rogue lock.&nbsp;&nbsp;On the server run the old Window File Manager (winfile.exe) and navigate to the file.&nbsp;&nbsp;highlight it and click File&gt;Properties&gt;Open By and see if it reports anything. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

I had the same problem a while back. <br>Our solution was a simple minded one but it worked.<br><br>Opened the locked file (you did say you could view it right?) And tried a &quot;save as&quot; with a new name.&nbsp;&nbsp;This worked for us.&nbsp;&nbsp;We also tried another way; we copied every cell worksheet by worksheet (about 20 in our case) then pasted them worksheet by worksheet into a brand new blank document.<br><br>We had to reformat each worksheet to look the same but it worked.<br><br>Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back