Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel spreadsheet data into a web page including links

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendle666

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
GB
Hello

Firstly if this is the wrong forum, I apologise, but I'm not quite sure where my query belongs.

I'm doing some work for a family history society, and they have an index of Wills - basically name, year, references and if there is one, a link to the Will transcript.

Currently they are PHP files as these are only available to the members of the society. Their index is sitting in Excel in a number of worksheets, there are thousands of entries. What I'd like to do is to be able to have those spreadsheets displayed within the web page rather than having to copy/paste the information to the PHP page (there's one for each letter of the alphabet). The index changes regularly as updates are made, so I need to be able to update quickly and easily.

I tried saving my Excel workbook as an MHT file and while it displayed fine in Microsoft Edge (just the file not within the webpage) it doesn't in Chrome. I've tried a PDF, but the links to the transcripts don't work - and as there are some 8000 links doing it manually in Acrobat isn't an option.

Can someone advise the best thing to do?

Many thanks

thank you for helping

Export the workbook/worksheets to MySQL then write a PHP CMS around the data would be my choice.

Not particularly ideal but given that Excel isn't anything like a 'real' database it has to be a compromise.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

I agree with Chris.

Export the excel files to csv, and feed them into a MYSQL database, then you can have PHP automatically read them from there easily.

Any updates to the database would be immediately visible in the website.

You can post in the forum436, or forum434 for specifics.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Thanks both, I'll give those ideas a try.

thank you for helping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back