Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL -Sorting a Column Alphbeticially 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhetfield

Vendor
Apr 11, 2003
US
I'd like to sort an excel worksheet by a specific column. I tried highlighting the column & then clicking the sort alpha. button but it sorts the column but doesn't keep the other column's info. tied to the sorted columns info.

thanks, Jason

1. Select all of the cells in the table (optional).
2. Goto Data->Sort...
3. Select the column(s) that you want to sort by in the order you want to sort by.
4. Don't forget to check or uncheck "Header Row" (if you have a header row, then check it, if not uncheck it).
5. Press OK

Peace!! [peace]

Mike

Didn't get the answers that you wanted? Take a look at FAQ219-2884

Hi Mike - Your step 1 is only optional in some versions of Excel. In later ones it will recognise that there is data to the right or left of your data and ask you if you want it included in the sort. In earlier ones it will simply ignore any data outside your selected range and only sort the selected area, and hence I think the OP's problem. Probably safer to leave the 'optional' bit off your note and then you have all bases covered.

Regards
Ken...............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back