Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Search Function for an entire workbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish521

Technical User
Nov 3, 2005
US
Hello everyone,

I am trying to set up a search function within Excel but not sure how to go about doing this properly. I would like for it to work just as the Find and Replace function does as there is the possibility of a lot of data to be in some of these cells.

I've tried to set up a vlookup function but that does not really get what I need. I would need something that would work more like a filter when typing in a word or phrase and searching the cells below. So I would like for the user to be able to type into the cell at the top of the worksheet and then basically filter the rest of the workbook on that value.

Is this something that can be set up or would I be better off setting something up in Access?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

hi,

Lookup functions are probably not going to work.

You might want to check out MS Query faq68-5829, or use the AutoFilter to filter using CONTAINS as the operator.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back