Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - reverting back to manual calculations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelis26

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

On a 98se machine, Excel 97, spreadsheet settings keep reverting back to manual calculations even though originally set to automatic.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

thanks in advance

Are there any macros in the workbook ??

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

The Calculation mode setting is an Application level setting stored in each saved workbook, and so Excel only has a single setting for all the workbooks that are open.

Excel takes the initial setting from the first workbook opened, so you must be opening a workbook with a manual setting regularly, or perhaps it is in your XLSTART folder, or perhaps your personal.xls is set to manual, or perhaps any templates you use??

Regards
Ken...............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Ken - question on this - do you not find it weird that in Tools>Options, there are application level options (calc), Workbook level options and sheet level options and no real way of determining which is which....

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

Ken,

Thanks that worked a treat. Open personal.xls changed to autocalc settings in the tools/options. closed and saved settings. Opened spreadsheet no problems.

thanks

Angelis

LOL - Geoff, there are a million things I find weird about Excel (as well as being a PITA), that being just one of them :)

Regards
Ken.............

Forgive my ignorance, but what is my "personal.xls"?

It's your personal macro workbook. If you have never recorded a macro then you probably don't have one yet. Excel gives you the opportunity to store macros in a special hidden workbook that will open automatically in the background every time you launch Excel. Any macros stored in this workbook are automatically available for you to use on any other workbook you are working on.

If you hit Tools/ Macro / Record Macro and then use the dropdown arrow to choose 'store in my personal macro workbook', and then type a 1 in any cell and then either hit the stop button or hit Tools / Macro / Stop Recording, you will now have created a personal.xls

You can access this file at any time from the VBE (Visual Basic Editor) by hitting ALT+F11 and looking for the file marked PERSONAL in the tree like view top left on your screen. You can also unhide it using Window / Unhide, but don't forget to hide it again afterwards.

I have hundreds of little routines that make my life a hell of a lot easier, and they are all stored in this workbook. Eveery time I come across a useful routine that someone else posts that may be useful to me, I simply add it to my personal.xls. these routines are then all available via Tools / macro etc, or for the most common ones I use I will assign keyboard shortcuts to them by using Tools / Macro / Macros, clicking on the routine in question, hitting the options button on the dialog box and then putting in the keyboard combo I wish to use to initiate that routine.

Anytime you change your personal.xls and then close Excel you may well be prompted to save changes. If you do not do this then any changes such as keybopard combos etc will be lost.

Regards
Ken...........

I guess I have been saving my macros in "This Workbook". Is "personal.xls" like "normal.dot" in Word?

Sort of, or at least for this analogy :)

Regards
Ken..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back