Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel questions please give advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishin4snook

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2000
US
I am working on a project for work and am new to excel, what we are looking to do is calculate,

1. An item we bought at a certain price
2. How many items we have sold at a certain price
3. = What the items cost per sale what

Would that be hard to set up in excel? Or do you recommend any other programs for that?

Thank you,
Fishin4snook. [sig][/sig]

Not a problem at all in Excel.

Put the Cost in one column, the quantity sold in another column, and your formula using cell referance in a third column.

It would help to know what your formula for item three is.
[sig][/sig]

Fish: What Bob is asking is what is the information you want? Cost per unit? How much you made on a case of 24? If I understand, you want to know how much you made on that item. In that case:

a1: Item name
b1: Item cost
c1: Item "retail"
d1: Qty sold
e1: Profit =(c1*d1)-(b1*d1) <--formula

If you want to get involved in what you actually paid for, say, a carton of 24 units of that item, and you want to know how much you made so far on the carton, that's a little different. We'd need to know how many in the carton. Hope it helps.
[sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto:techsupportgirl@home.com>techsupportgirl@home.com</a><br><a href= </a><br> [/sig]

1. Cost per travel lead
2. net made per sale off lead
3. lead cost per sale [sig][/sig]

1. Cost per travel lead
2. amount of leads purchased at that price
3. net made per sale off lead
4. lead cost per sale

Thank you,
Fishin4snook. [sig][/sig]

Do me a favor, fish: Email me and explain in more detail what you're doing. techsupportgirl@home.com

Also, use COST when you're talking about the price YOU paid and use PRICE when you're talking about the price YOUR CUSTOMER paid and use PROFIT when you're talking about the difference. That'll be a big help. Also, tell me what a travel lead is (?). I can't tell the difference here between #1 and #4. [sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto:techsupportgirl@home.com>techsupportgirl@home.com</a><br><a href= </a><br> [/sig]

It looks like what you are doing is purchasing leads for potintial travel sales.

You want to know what your profit is based on the number of sales you made to those on the lead list.

The way I read it:

You buy 1000 leads at $1.00 each for $1000 dollars.

You make 10 sales for travel packages off the lead list.

It cost you $1000 for 10 good leads so in effect you paid $100 per good lead.

Your net profit for each sale is say $300 without the cost of the leads factored in.

Therefore, your net true profit per sale for this batch is $200 once you factor in the cost of the 10 good leads.

Am I all wet or is this about what you are after? [sig][/sig]

Duh! Now that makes sense to me. I didn't understand what fish meant by &quot;leads&quot;. I just don't think like a salesman, I guess!

So,

Col A: Cost of Leads
Col B: Number of travel packages sold
Col C: Price you received per package
Col D: Net Profit per Lead (realized)

D2: =(c2*b2)-(a2/b2) [sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto:techsupportgirl@home.com>techsupportgirl@home.com</a><br><a href= </a><br> [/sig]

Thank you guys for all of your advice on this subject.

Thank you,
Fishin4snook.
[sig][/sig]

Fish,

Back to your original question:

No it would not be hard at all as long as we know what you want to end up with and what data you have to get there.

You should start with your final answer, e.g. How much did we make on this deal? This translates to a formula like:

Profit = Sell_Price - Cost_of_sale

You know how much you sold it for so that is a no brainer.
The Cost_of_sale figure will have to come from another formula like:

Cost_of_sale = (cost_of_lead_batch / number_of_good_leads) + What_You_paid_for_a_single_travel-Pakage + (any other cost factors you need to add in)

The exact formula you use depends on your final needs. Do you want to know the average profit per sale off this lead list? Do you want to know the profit of each sale off this lead list? Do you want to know the total profit off of this lead list? and so on.

If you would like you can send me email with the particulars and I can send you a workbook with the formulas.

Bob Crawford
bobc@san.rr.com [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back