Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Query - Text Box and Chart Title Queries 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanxx

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hi a couple of problems I have with text boxes. Firstly I have a blank text box which requests a user to input a value in order that a calculation can be carried out. However once a value (say 20) is manually entered how the hell can I link this value into my formula? Also is it possible to use formulas in a chart title, I would like to use a Concatenate function, but I only seem to be able to enter plain text in a chart title?

Thanks,

Justin Godson

Any text box in Excel including chart titles & labels can have a simple formula linking to a cell in the workbook where you can store a more complex formula.

Select the text box - then click in the formula bar & type the formula, or press = and use point mode.

Thanks but perhaps I didn't explain to clearly. The text box is not a basic cell, but a true Text Box derived from the Control Toolbox Toolbar. Further to the second part of my query, I wish to superimpose a Text Box (pulled from the Drawing Toolbar) onto a chart, which is fine, but I can't appear to add a formula in this text box if I enter something like =A2 it returns "=A2" and not the value in cell A2.

Ta,

Justin

Justin Godson,

To clarify the answer to your SECOND question...

Construct your title in a CELL using whatever formula(s).

THEN...

from the selected textbox, click in the Formula Bar and key =, point to the cell containing your title formula and hit [Enter].

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] Researchers have found another Descartes trueism, "Cogito ergo spud."
"I think; therefore, I YAM!
[tongue][/sub]

On the Control Toolbox TextBox, it all has to be done with VBA and not with sheet formulas.

There must be an event to occur to get the entered value into your sheet.

Explain how your application should work -- what you are trying to accomplish.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] Researchers have found another Descartes trueism, "Cogito ergo spud."
"I think; therefore, I YAM!
[tongue][/sub]

Use the quick menu to access the properties of the text box

use the property LinkedCell and enter a reference such as sheet1!A1

Use can edit in either the cell or the text box

Yep your response to my second part of the query is spot on! Star duly awarded. As part of the Textbox thing, basically what I am wanting to do is enter a value in the Textbox and this value is then used as an integral part of a formula. However like you point out entering a value into the Textbox is the trigger to kick off a VBA script, it's purpose isn't really about being a point that you can enter a basic value, it's just that I had used this method as the box looked nice on the spreadsheet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back