Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel protected sheet and Cntl+D (copy down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintjulep

Technical User
Aug 20, 2004
JP
I have a spreadsheet with protection active and some ranges set to allow editing.

The goal is to prevent accidental changes in the protected areas, yet allow editing of the ranges set to allow edits.

In the allow edit ranges I can edit cells individually. As expected.

However, I cannot use Cntl+D (copy down) in the allow edit ranges. I do not understand why not.

When trying to copy down Excel refuses. Telling me that the sheet is protected.

I can paste into multiple cells in the allow edit range. As expected.

I can select and delete multiple cells in the allow edit range. As expected.

Looking for suggestions or explanations for this behavior.

It looks like it's excel logic - the range remains protected with temporary access only granted to range after passing the password. There is no access to series definition after resizing range with right mouse button pressed too.
If you need this kind of protection, i.e. access to defined ranges is password protected when worksheet is protected, the only way to fast range copying is dragging the fill handle with or without SHIFT key pressed.
In case of free access to unprotected cells (selected cells are formatted as not protected) Ctrl+D works as long as selected range (for Ctrl+D) contains only non-protected cells.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back