Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Project Using Parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstafford21

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2003
TH
I am working on a template excel spreadsheet where the purpose is to build a dashboard for our KPI's.

I am a little rusty on some formula meanings and don't understand one of the formulas in this dashboard.

So the question is trying to understand the total meaning of this and hope someone can help & explain to me please this formula:
=AU4*parameters!$C$4

Of course I understand the reference location of AU4, but when the *parameter! comes in, I am ignorant of this and probably need to do more studies, but never used this one before.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Hi, Sorry found what it meant by looking a little harder and realize it is one of the worksheets in the dashboard file.

It points to that worksheet location, appologies for asking an obvious question and overlook something so simple.

Regards

Bill

hi,
[tt]
=AU4*parameters!$C$4
[/tt]
parameters is a worksheet, as you discovered.

However, just look at that formula. What does it tell YOU or anyone else interested in understanding what the sheet is really doing? VERY LITTLE!!!

You need to look at Named Ranges. If, for instance, cell parameters!$C$4 was WrapRate and column AU was StandardHours and BOTH the cell was so named and the data range in column AU, then your formula would read...
[tt]
=StandardHours*WrapRate

[/tt]
Now WHICH conveys the clearest information?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hello Skip,

Thanks for the reply, this is very informative and interesting and will try my hand at a few variations in my sheet.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back