Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakedbamboo

Technical User
Oct 8, 2003
US
I have a question about MS Excel. I want to create a spread sheet that is interactive and flexible with a user. Want I want is to prompt a user for data input and have it create a new ROW with the data under a certain section.

First I do not know how to prompt users for data. Second I am having difficulty with the new ROW thing. I can record a macro to add a new ROW with no problem, but then if I have a macro do the same thing in a lower section the line numbers have messed up and things get out of synch. Is there anyway to edit a macro with another macro? Such as "if this macro runs, add a letter to the ROW to start from in the macro lower down the page".

Maybe I am thinking about this all the wrong way. Any suggestions?

Hi,

Excel is ALREADY extremely interactive. Often it is necessary to control the data entry environment, BUT this always means that you make Excel LESS INTERACTIVE.

Take a look at menu item Data/Form. You must have at least the beginning of a table.

:-0

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Have a look in the FAQs section for VBA forum - threre's a couple in there for finding the last row of data and how to use it in a range statementbut as Skip suggests, if you just want a nice easy way of doing it, look into the data>form

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

It appears to me that the Data>Form option wants to use a list of predefined options. I am wanting to prompt the user to enter competely random information and create a row with the data. For example, one section is titled Events and would contain random events that were particpated in during the month. The problem is, I don't know how many event each month may contain so I want the area under this to be able to grow as each event is entered instead of just sectioning off a large section. This could easily be accomplished by the user if they just inserted a new row each time, but I can't assume the user will know how to do that. I was hoping to create a button and tie it to a macro that prompted for data and created a new row with it. Or something along those lines.

nb,

Each table for data entry MUST be predefined!

I have a feeling that you are wanting to add NON-NORMAILZED data which is a database principles no-no.

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back