Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Plan drawing lines move when printed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I've drawn a plan for a new sidewalk around my house. I know Excel isn't the best but I'm used to it.

I was just cleaning up the drawing and adding some dimension lines and suddenly my lines don't meet anymore when printed. They look fine in the normal view.

Any Idea What I might have changed to cause this?

Normal View

Print Preview

I just took screenshots and spliced them in Paint.

Problem Solved

Fair enough but bypassed in a way that removed other issues.

Namely, Excel does not print a square as a square. It's always squashed a bit vertically.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, your exhibited problem is not explained by any consistent distortion between screen and paper.[ ] You have sudden lateral displacements occurring.[ ] I, for one, would be interested in how these come about.

On my system (Excel-2010) the amount of "vertical squashing" between what the screen shows and what you get when you print is about 6%.[ ] This amount is the same for Print and PrintPreview.

A (very) vaguely related problem arises with Excel's XY-Charts if you want to have the chart display with equal horizontal and vertical scales.[ ] Many years ago I posted a VBA procedure to achieve this at

Now, thanks to this post, I am aware that while the procedure gives the required equal scaling on screen it does not do so on paper.[ ] I would be interested in whether this 6% distortion applies fairly universally, so I can think about how best to revise the procedure to accommodate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back