Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Opens with a Previous Document

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2005
US
When one of my users launches Excel from the start menu, it opens with a previous document instead of the blank template. It's actually a .opx file.

I checked to see that the shortcut was properly pointed. I even deleted the start menu shortcut and made a new shortcut from the excel.exe. Still no change. Any ideas? Thanks!

Check for any files in
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
where USERNAME is the users ID.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

I looked in the directory and found an xlb file which looks to be the mystery file. As a test I moved it to another directory and then tired to launch Excel. I said the document was lock and could be opened as read only. Is this where the template is?

I checked the same directory on an identical computer, and there was no xlb file. Should I delete the xlb file on the problem machine?

The .xlb shouldn't be the problem. That is the file where custom toolbar settings are stored. Erasing it won't mess up Excel, but will wipe out any toolbar customizations that have been made by the user. If you delete it, the file will be recreated automatically if any changes are made to the toolbars.

If deleting this caused the .opx file not to appear when Excel was started, then I'd say just delete it.

If, on the other hand, the .opx still opens along with Excel, then (in excel) go to Tools > Options, on the General tab, look for anything in the 'Alternate startup file location'. If there is a folder path listed, check for files in that folder path.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

If it is a .opx file, do a search for that file in the hard drive, and when you find it, either delete it, or pur it in another folder, and see if that cures your problem.

Sawedoff

I moved the .opx file, plus deleted the shortcut in the Excel recent docs folder. Fixed it! Wow this was a strange one. Thanks for all the input! ~Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back