Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - Null values and if statements 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

maca9

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
NZ
Hi

I have a complex formula that is dependent on the date. Basically if the date is in the future the formula will return "". When the period exists a figure will be there.

My problem is graphing this data because it get graphed as zero when it is returning "".

I have ticked the box saying plot empty cells as - not plotted , leave gaps.

But it is treating the "" as a zero.

How can I make it see these cells are empty?

Thanks in advance.

Hi maca9,

This is because the cells which result in "" contain formulas, and are therefore not blank! You can prove this to yourself by selecting a few of the offending cells and doing Edit>Clear>All. Your chart'll now show blanks where once it went to zero.

When I played with this just now, Clearing All of the so-called blank cells was a bit flakey, in that only the last 6 or 7 points were skipped; the others were still plotted - don't know why, I'm afraid to say.

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

To not plot those cells, instead of using
=IF(test,true,"")
use
=IF(test,true,#N/A)

charts don't plot #N/A so it should work. You must use #N/A rather than "#N/A" however as you need to return the error value rather than a string

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

You can also use
=IF(test,true,NA())

Just to confuse yourself even more!

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back