Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel-Need to Create Query for a few static items in Lrg. Spreadsheet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I receive a daily spreadsheet that typically contains 2500 to 3000 rows of information located in a constant 65 columns. I have to search through this spreadsheet for the same 40 items to see if any are contained within. I was wondering if there was a method of creating a search query of my 40 items that would locate and extract from the large spreadsheet, any of the matches. Ideally, if I could extract the entire row, and place in a new sheet, that would be great, but just doing a match and search so the process was not so manual would be a big help.

Are your 40 items located in just one of the 65 columns, or are you looking for them anywhere in the spreadsheet?

Hi Alan,

Excel's database extraction function is VERY capable of doing exactly as you describe.

This function is on Excel's menu, under: Data - Filter - Advanced Filter.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of bugs in the form of FALSE Error Messages that can prevent one from extracting data to a separate sheet.

However, using VBA, there is no problem, other than sub-standard documentation on the use of this "powerful" component of Excel.

The easiest and best way of resolving your task, would be for you to email me your file. Just include the field names, and a small number of records. Plus, include the 40 items that you need to locate and extract.

If your data is "sensitive", replace it with fictitious data.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back