Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel macro to automate data input 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
US
I want to create a simple macro to help enter check numbers and amounts in two columns of an excel spreadsheet.

I would like to start out by entering with check number one, then when I hit {enter} the cursor jumps to the amount column to the right. After inputting the check amount and hitting {enter}, the cursor jumps down one and left one to record check number two. The macro would then repeat itself so that the check numbers and amounts can all be entered without having to move between the fields without the arrows or mouse.

Any suggestions?

How about selecting the columns and then tabbing though the data?

Alternatively, Looks at Tools/Options/'move selection after enter' instead of tab.

No macro necessary?

Stew

You could also try using the Data>Form function. This may make it a little easier to enter your data.

Mike
Did you ever have any success with this? I am trying to accomplish the same thing.
Lynn C

Hightlight a range, say A10:B20. Now start typing away. Excel will automatically wrap to the next row. Be sure to set Tools Options Edit Move Right after enter key.

To JVFriederick
BRILLIANT - It works like a charm and couldn't be easier. I worked so hard on a macro and your answer couldn't have been better. Thank you so much.
Regards
Lynn C

Reminder to Tek-Tips users who are RELATIVELY NEW
=================================================

Being relatively new, you might not be aware of the "built in" method of PROPERLY showing your appreciation for the help you have received.

This method is perhaps not so obvious, but it is simple - just click on the "Let ________ know this post was helpful" which is located in the lower-left corner of the contributor's posting.

This form of recognition results in the issuance of a "STAR". This STAR not only provides confirmation to the contributor that you do indeed appreciate the contribution, but it also serves as a notice to other would-be contributors that the problem has been resolved.

And, the STAR(S) also serves as an indicator to Tek-Tips "browsers" who are looking for potential solutions to problems which are similar.

Last point: You don't have to be the "originator" of the question in order to "issue a STAR". I'll demonstrate...

...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Another solution if you're interested, particularly if other users need to enter data ... *:->*

Select only the cells that you want to type in, then select Format, Cells, Protection and remove the Locked option. Now select Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet. Add a password if you want (this is optional) then select OK.

Now when you tab through the sheet the cursor will only move to those unlocked cells - no selecting necessary!

GeelGirlau - Thanks for the tip. I am sure I will use it in the future, but because one of the requirements was that when you get to the third column you jump to the next row,it doesn't quite work. When I get to the third column with your method, the cursor skips to the fourth column and then I just get a message about trying to write in a protected area. Highlighting the range combined with changing where the cursor moves when Enter is pressed skips me to the next line when I get to the end of the range. Thanks again, though, I am sure I will use your tip in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back