Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: Look for different worksheet based on date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjh

Technical User
Dec 14, 2002
CA
Hi all,

I have a workbook that collects information on a monthly basis - a separate one for each month, based on a template I've developed.

For some biweekly reports, I need to extract data from the previous month's worksheet if the date falls outside the current month.

How do I tell it to go to say JanReports.xls if it's February, or MarchReports.xls if it's April. I'd like to have it part of the template, and not manually re-enter it each month.

I've attempted to have a named range where the previous month's filename is typed in, but can't seem to get this to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

vjh

To get the previous month's data, you could use something like:
[COLOR=blue white]=INDIRECT("C:\path\"&TEXT(TODAY()-DAY(NOW()),"mmm")&"Reports.xls")[/color]

One caveat with that: It remains dynamic - that is to say that right now it will lead to 'OctReports.xls' but as of Dec 1 it will return 'NovReports.xls'. If you want the data to remain after month's end, you'll need to copy the selection that uses the formula, then Paste Special > Values.

[tt]__________________________________________
My name is John, and I approved this post.[/tt]

To get the best answers fast, please read faq181-2886

Thanks.

I've been struggling with using INDIRECT to get to the right named range of the right named worksheet of the right workbook, and embed that into a fairly complex INDEX / MATCH() / MATCH statement. Which I've done.

Phew!!!

vjh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back