Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Invoice question - Autonumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2001
JM
A friend of mine has customized an Office Excel 2007 template for his personal use. However, he wants to auto number his invoices like so:

2009-0001, 2009-0002, etc

Basically, he wants me to use the sample invoice to setup an invoice template that auto-numbers whenever it is opened and saved.

I have been trying to help him but I hardly use Excel and Excel 2007 is so different from the previous versions in its menus, etc, that I am getting nowhere...

Does anyone have a simple solution that I could use? I have been researching the problem and it seems to be related to VB coding. I just can't seem to get it to work.

Data for invoices is usually kept in a table row or a record in a database, If you use rows you can autoincrement a column and then export or refer to the data in a second sheet which can format the data in the way you want for print, just an idea.
wjwjr

This old world keeps spinning round - It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down

Hi,

Store the NEXT number in a hidden sheet. I'd use a Named Range like Next_Nbr

Then the Invoice number is...
Code:
InvNbr = Year(Date) & "-" & Format(Next_Nbr,"0000")
[Next_Nbr] = Next_Nbr + 1

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back