Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: =IF(ISNA....not working, too many arguments 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolcarls

Technical User
Jan 19, 2002
US
Anyone have a better way around this mess?
If I put a "=IF(ISNA" in the formula I get "too many arguments"

=INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$B$21, MATCH(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$21,), MATCH("Price",Sheet1!$A$1:$B$1,))

Thanks in advance
Carl

=IF(ISNA(Your_Formula),"",Your_Formula)

=IF(ISNA(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$B$21, MATCH(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$21,), MATCH("Price",Sheet1!$A$1:$B$1,))),"",INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$B$21, MATCH(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$21,), MATCH("Price",Sheet1!$A$1:$B$1,)))

Regards
Ken...........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the Price part of your formula is always going to work, then you can put the other MATCH function inside an ISNA function like this:
Code:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$21,)),"",INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$B$21, MATCH(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$21,), MATCH("Price",Sheet1!$A$1:$B$1,)))
Also, I notice that you omitted the third parameter for your MATCH function. This means that column A has to be sorted in ascending order and that approximate matches would be acceptable. If you require an exact match (or don't want to sort your table), then you need a third parameter of 0:
Code:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$21,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$B$21, MATCH(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$21,0), MATCH("Price",Sheet1!$A$1:$B$1,0)))
Finally, your data is set up for a VLOOKUP, so you may prefer either of:
Code:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$21,1,FALSE)),"", VLOOKUP(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$21, MATCH("Price",Sheet1!$A$1:$B$1,0),FALSE))
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$21,1,FALSE)),"", VLOOKUP(H23,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$21,2,FALSE))
The second formula assumes that you want the data from column B.
Brad

Ken, Thanks! It works perfectly.
byundt, I went with your last formula which is also flawless.
I can't thank you enough, I learn so so much here.
Have a beer on me!
Cheers,
Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back