Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel hyperlink question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wblue

Technical User
May 25, 2001
US
I am working in Excel 2003. I have a column of hyperlinks that refer to pdf files at a remote location. I need these links to be relative allowing the targets to be relocated later, but when I set a 'hyperlink base' my simple nagigation hyperlinks that point to a location within the spreadsheet fail. This does not make sence to me. Even when I save the xls in the hyperlink base directory, clicking the navigation link opens the directory rather than navigating to the location in the sheet. What am I missing here?

"I have a column of hyperlinks that refer to pdf files at a remote location"

"clicking the navigation link opens the directory rather than navigating to the location in the sheet"

Your link is pointing to a FOLDER rather than a worksheet cell.

"but when I set a 'hyperlink base' ..."

Please explain exactly how you are doing this and what you expect to happen.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Under file>properties>summary I set the 'hyperlink base' property. As I mentioned, I have a column of links to external PDF files, and I need the links to be relative (file name only).... so if the target files are relocated I need only change the network path in the property setting.
But that is screwing up the links I use to navigate within the document, e.g. jumping to another sheet or to a specific cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back