Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel hyperlink opens picture in Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBreau

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
CA
I have a hyperlink to a .jpg. The hyperlink opens the picture in Internet Explorer. I Googled and tried all the solutions. Hyperlink still opens in Internet explorer. I want the hyperlink to open the picture in Windows default - Windows Photo Viewer. Using Windows 7 Professional, Microsoft Office Excel 2007.

Does anyone have a known solution?

Thank you

This requires Registry editing. [highlight #CC0000]Seriously advise NOT to do it if you are not familiar with regedit.[/highlight]

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> jpegfile -> CLSID needs to be changed (or created) to
{FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}

Most like right now it is {25336920-03F9-11cf-8FD0-00AA00686F13}

Avoid Hangovers. Stay drunk.

maybe you should back-up the registry before you alter it.

start > run > type-in regedit > click ok

Next click File > Export > pick a folder or your desktop to store the backed-up registry and choose a name for it > click Save.

If you need to restore it repeat above but choose File > Import.

I'm nor sure if this will work but

Would a better solution be to RT Click the picture and choose open with > choose program > choose Windows Photo Viewer > check the box Always use the selected program to open this type of file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back