Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: How to merge info. from Column A & B into Column C. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhetfield

Vendor
Apr 11, 2003
US
How do I , for example, take the info. in cell A1 & B1 and merge it together in C1?

If possible please provide an example of the string "split down" so I can get a better understanding of how the code works.

Regards, Jason

in cell C1 type:

= A1 & B1

if you want a space

= A1 & " " & B1

Leslie
landrews@metrocourt.state.nm.us

There are 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary
and
those who don't!

In Excel put curser in field you want merged data to appear (C1)
In Excel go to Paste Functions.

Choose Function Category: ALL
Choose Function Name: CONCATENATE

In Text1 click on first cell of data (A1)
In Text2 click on second cell of data (B1)
OK

If you want space, in Text2 type in a space (or " ")and in Text3 click on second cell of data to merge

Downside to CONCATENATE is that it will bomb with more than 30 arguments (Possibly not a problem with your data), and is unncessary given that =A1&B1 will do the same more efficiently. Leslie's answer was the one you should use.

Regards
Ken..............

i have tried this with date & time, and excel returns a serial number for the date and the time in the merged cell.
can anyone tell me how i get arounf this please?

Thanks!
Stoke

Format the "merged" cell as date and time ;-)

Rgds
Geoff
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."
-Oscar Wilde

Thanks, sorry to be a pain but it doesn't work when i format the "merged" cell as date and time - the serial number still remains.
The workround i have is that the date and time in a1 & b1 are placed in "", which is ugly and, i guess, will not work when i use a pop-up calender.
my example is:
a1 b1 c1
08-Apr-03 16:05 377190.670138888888889
where c1 = =E1&""&F1

any ideas - Thanks ever so!

Use an 'ADD' operator:
a1 b1 c1
08-Apr-03 16:05 08-Apr-03 16:05

Here c1 = a1 + b1

Value in c1 will be proper only if

1. a1 and b1 are entered (not formatted) as date and time respectively. The idea is that value for a1 must not contain a time reference and that for b1 must not contain any date reference.
2. c1 is formatted as date-time string.

Thanks

S P Mall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back