Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel forumula surrounded by { } 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbaker

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2002
US
I am working on an excel spreadsheet that was setup by a former employ. I am trying to duplicate a formula that was already set up but when I do, it doesnt seem to work right.
When looking at the original formula by just single clicking on the cell, the formula looks like this.

{=SUM(IF(A4:A505="HJ",IF(O4:O505="GOT",1,0)))}

It has the { } symbols surrounding the entire formula. When you try double click on the cell to edit the formula, it looks like this.

=SUM(IF(A4:A505="HJ",IF(O4:O505="GOT",1,0)))

The { } symbols go away and when I try and duplicate this formula I can't get the { } symbols in there and the formula doesn't seem to work without them. I have tried copying the cell and pasting special to include the formulas but the formula comes out like this with a single click

{=SUM(IF(#REF!="HJ",IF(#REF!="GOT",1,0)))}

and like this with a double click.

=SUM(IF(#REF!="HJ",IF(#REF!="GOT",1,0)))

Not sure what those symbols actually do. Any suggestions.

Thanks

James

Hi Superbaker,

What you have is an Array Formula which works on an array of cells. To (re-)enter it you must press <Ctrl><Shift><Enter> instead of just <Enter>

Enjoy,
Tony

An Introduction to arrays that may come in useful if you are editing array formulas:-

Regards
Ken........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back